- At least one of the top three ingredients must be a soy product (i.e. tofu, soy milk, kinako).
- Entry must be in English.
- Submit photo, 100-word description, and recipe.
- Soy products used in the recipes must be available at regular stores.
- All ingredients and cooking utensils must be supplied by competitors.
- Those selected must attend the Semi-Finals at Berkeley Bowl West on May 20, 2017 and if chosen as one of three finalists, the Northern California Soy & Tofu Festival on June 17, 2017 at The Event Center at Saint Mary’s Cathedral in San Francisco’s Japantown. For both events, contestant must prepare enough 1 fluid ounce samples for 60 audience judges, and five full servings at both events.
- Contestants are allowed and encouraged to prepare ahead, although space will be available for plating at the Festival.
- Contest is open to both professionals and amateurs.
- The Nichi Bei Foundation reserves the right to publish the competitor’s name, recipe, city of residence and occupation.
- All Semi-Finalists will receive a $20 Berkeley Bowl gift card.
- Applications must be received by the Nichi Bei Foundation by May 10, 2017. Semi-Finalists will be selected from the entries. Semi-Finalists will be informed of their selection by May 12, 2017.
- Finalists at the Festival will be judged by a panel upon: taste, creativity, presentation and incorporation of soy, and the Audience Judges will select a People’s Choice winner.
FIRST PLACE: $300 cash + festival goody bag
SECOND PLACE: $200 cash + festival goody bag
THIRD PLACE: $100 cash + festival goody bag
For more information, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org